We are proud partners of PACE – Partners for a Clean Environment — a voluntary and non-regulatory Boulder County business certification program. The overall goal of PACE is to reduce and eliminate hazardous materials and waste in water, land, and air. We strive to minimize our impact by adhering to strict environmental sustainability protocols.
In order to maintain the highest environmental standards, an eco-friendly practice must be conscious of the amount of waste that’s generated from the administrative side of things, and from the practice itself — which produces electrical and chemical waste that poses a threat to the air and groundwater. We are vigilant on both fronts.
Pace Dental Certification Criteria:
- Staff is trained in “Best Management Practices for Dental Waste”
- Fixer solution is taken off-site for recycling
- All mercury-containing amalgam waste is recycled
- We don’t use chromium x-ray system cleaners
- Vacuum systems are turned off after hours
- Staff is trained to operate vacuum systems and compressors
- The building has backflow prevention installed
- Office recycles paper and commingled containers and uses recycled-content paper
Digital x-ray machines require no chemical solutions and only a fraction of the electrical energy that’s needed to produce conventional x-rays. Because the images are stored on a computer, there is no longer a need to create or dispose of physical slides. Progress!
HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT
Industry byproducts and heavy metals such as mercury, found in amalgam fillings and silver (in x-ray processing solutions) are hazardous to groundwater supplies. We’ve updated technology and put stringent procedures in place to ensure that waste is captured, recycled — or eliminated from the process.
ENERGY USE & RECYCLING
We’re a TerraCycle & Tom’s of Maine Natural Care Recycling Program partner! Our patients can participate by dropping off used toothbrushes, empty containers, and caps from mouthwash, toothpaste, and floss at our office to be properly recycled.
In addition, we follow rigorous in-office energy efficiency and recycling guidelines.
We all need to do our part in protecting the places we call home.